Energy efficient schools, colleges & universities
BSSEC has worked in the education sector for over 10 years, helping numerous educational establishments understand their energy usage and improve their energy efficiency. We are specialist consultants appointed by the Carbon Trust to provide energy audits and technical solutions to save energy. We have successfully designed and commissioned multiple projects in the educational sector, and delivered measured and verified results.
The regulatory burden for schools, colleges & universities is rising and there is often a requirement to be a low carbon educator. In addition energy costs are rising, with resulting squeeze on budgets. Consequently the requirement for energy efficiency has never been greater.
Many educational establishments have legacy problems that contribute to the energy problems:
- Ageing & inefficient plant and control systems
- poor controls for classroom lighting and heating
- Poor ventilation rates in classrooms,
- Poor staff and contractor behaviour relating to energy management
- Poor policy and standard operating procedures
- Expensive gym services
- High maintenance costs
Our consultants can work at single site level (for example Independent Schools) or across multiple sites as part of strategic reviews for pension portfolio companies and Education Trusts. We have experience of working with funding agencies, governing bodies, bursars and the education sector funding agency HEFCE.
We’ve helped schools, colleges and universities overcome their energy challenges in a variety of ways:
- Developed and prepared energy policies with energy reduction targets
- Developed departmental standard operating procedures for all energy using equipment
- Monitored and targeted energy savings on a departmental basis
- Provided behaviour change training to key department heads and key contractors
- Carried out energy audits and prioritised solutions in accordance with financial payback, improvements to the learning environment and maintenance
- Project managed technical projects in terms of boilers, heating systems, controls, lighting, swimming pool plant and covers, heat recovery, ventilation systems, thermal insulation and renewables
- Supported funding applications