Digital learning for the energy efficiency and engineering sector
BSSEC provides a range of digital learning and Continual Professional Development (CPD) services for professional institutions and accreditation schemes ensuring that energy professionals and engineering managers/directors are kept up to date.
What we provide:
- CPD Articles for journals and publications with Q&A including certificates
- E-Learning CPD for website access including certificates
- E-Learning content for longer courses of a day to a week.
- Face to face training where required.
BSSEC is a Content Partner for the IET Academy which was launched in February 2018. BSSEC also provides level 3 energy management leadership modules, ESOS Lead Assessor CPD and technology CPD articles to the Energy Institute and CPD modules to Quidos, contributing to its energy efficiency training portal with a series of online CPD courses.
IET Academy Courses
- Professionalism for Engineers: A 10-hour course developed to support engineers in understanding what it means to act as a professional engineer and to recognise what professionalism in practice looks like when working alongside colleagues, customers, and the community.
- Decarbonised Electrified Heat: A 10-hour course which aims to equip those involved in forming energy strategies and planning developments, new building projects and refurbishment projects on how electrified heat can be correctly applied.
- Smart Grids:A 10-hour course which helps learners to understand how the traditional electrical grid is being upgraded and transformed into a smart grid.
- Implementing Net Zero Carbon in Practice: A 10-hour course which includes units on carbon foot printing, decarbonised utility supplies (electricity and heat), decarbonised transport, the decarbonisation of buildings, carbon and energy management systems, stakeholder awareness and concludes with some useful case studies.
- BS EN 16247 Energy Audits (Buildings, Processes and Transport) – An 11-hour course that explains how to plan and deliver energy auditing to the BS EN 16247 standard to achieve compliance with ESOS legislation. It provides examples of best practice for delivery against the standard. Find the course here: https://academy.theiet.org/energy-audits-course
- LED Lighting – An 11-hour course which provides an update on the IET’s Code of Practice for the Application of LED Lighting Systems, and keeps learners up to date with the latest in LED lighting by including examples of products on the market, case studies, news articles and signposts to information and guidance. Find the course here: https://academy.theiet.org/led-lighting
- An Introduction to Electrical Building Services – A 13-hour course that offers a simple but thorough review of all aspects of electricity use within buildings. Find the course: https://academy.theiet.org/ebs-course
- Engineer to Manager – A 16-hour course which provides a strong foundation for becoming an effective leader. It will provide engineers with an understanding of the role of the manager and the responsibilities this carries, and help them develop their own approach to working with others and leading a team. Find the course here: https://academy.theiet.org/engineer-to-manager
- Engineering Manager to Director – An 17-hour course that informs and equips the engineering manager who is taking the next steps in their career to becoming a director, by developing director skills and knowledge, and boardroom skills. It is also useful for existing directors’ Continuing Professional Development (CPD). Find the course here: https://academy.theiet.org/bssec-engineering-manager-to-director
- Developing Engineer – An 11-hour course which aims to support candidates to achieve Incorporated Engineer (IEng) status and equips learners for their competence review; the final step in becoming professionally registered. This course also guides learners on what to do once professional registration is achieved, such as undertaking CPD and perhaps considering the next steps in achieving Chartered Engineer (CEng) status.
- Asbestos Awareness – A 1-hour course that educates the energy assessor abut asbestos. It considers the background of asbestos, its role in the construction industry, key risks and governing legislation. It also reviews it practically, with regard to its management and how it can be safely and legally worked with. Find this course here: https://quidos.co.uk/product/productabestos-awareness-id118532/
- Practical Approaches to Delivering TM44 AC Inspections – A 1-hour course that looks at the steps air-conditioning (AC) inspectors can take to ensure accurate and complete TM44 AC inspections. Find this course here: https://quidos.co.uk/practical-approaches-to-delivering-tm44-ac-inspections-online-training-course/
- Managing Health & Safety for Energy Assessors – A 1-hour course that informs energy assessors of the importance of health and safety. It helps energy assessors in carrying out pre-visit assessments, appreciate what health and safety practices should be followed, to consider the dos and don’ts whilst carrying out assessments and how to deal with asbestos. Find the course here: https://quidos.co.uk/managing-health-safety-energy-assessors-online-training-course
- Building Engineering Physics (1 Hour)
- How to: save energy in air conditioning systems – A 1.5-hour course that helps learners to understand different types of AC systems, how to carry out energy audits, identify and implement energy saving opportunities and monitor savings in AC systems. Find the course here: https://quidos.co.uk/product/how-to-save-energy-in-air-conditioning-systems/
- How to: Identify Heat Pumps – A 1.5-hour course that allows learners to understand the technology of heat pumps, the different types available and heat pump efficiency, and also allows learners to discover grants and subsidies that are available. Find the course here: https://quidos.co.uk/product/how-to-identify-heat-pumps-online-cpd-1-5hrs/
- How to: Heating Masterclass (Part 1 standards, Part 2 fuel selection, Part 3 plant selection, Part 4 distribution systems, Part 5 controls energy efficiency) – A 7.5-hour course that teaches the learner a wide range of topics surrounding heating systems, including design, heat loss, fuels available including renewables, heating options available, types of systems available, key players, requirements and procedures, controls, maintenance, metering, monitoring and targeting and energy efficiency. Find this course here: https://quidos.co.uk/product/heating-masterclass-5-modules/
- How to: Improve Heating Controls & Efficiency – A 1.5-hour course that introduces key industry players, operating requirements and procedures, helps the learner understand automatic controls and maintenance requirements, considers metering monitoring and targeting and helps the learner to decide energy efficiency targets. Find the course here: https://quidos.co.uk/product/productimprove-heating-controls-energy-efficiency/
- How to: Select a Heating Distribution System – A 1.5-hour course that outlines various heating distribution systems including wet, warm air, radiant and electric systems and pumps, pipework and distribution. Find this course here: https://quidos.co.uk/product/select-heating-distribution-system/
- How to: Select Heating Plants – A 1.5-hour course that discusses various heating options, including gas and biomass boilers, heat pumps and combined heat and power (CHP). Find this course here: https://quidos.co.uk/product/select-heating-plant/
- How to: Select a Heating Fuel – A 1.5-hour course that outlines various fuels as options for heating including natural gas, oil, biomass, green gas, electricity, district heating and solar thermal. Find this course here: https://quidos.co.uk/product/select-heating-fuel/
- How to: Implement Standards & Design Parameters – A 1.5-hour course that teaches the learner how to understand design standards, learn about the effects of orientation and the importance of air tightness. Find this course here: https://quidos.co.uk/product/implement-standards-design-parameters/
- Understand Low Voltage Distribution Systems – A 1.5-hour course that covers supply characteristics, incoming supply, final circuits and earthing. Find this course here: https://quidos.co.uk/product/understand-low-voltage-distribution-systems-online-training-course/
- Understand Other Related Systems – A 1.5-hour course that covers emergency lighting, UPS systems, fire alarms, intruder alarms and data cabling. Find this course here: https://quidos.co.uk/product/understand-other-related-systems-online-training-course/
- ESOS Phase II CPD Training Package – This 5-hour CPD training package is aimed at ESOS Lead Assessors and also, both internal and external auditors undertaking energy ESOS audits and looking to gain CPD hours. It will refresh their memory and provide further knowledge of the Scheme so that they are prepared for Phase 2. This course consists of 5 modules which include an update of ESOS legislation and standards, technology updates and essential Health & Safety Guidance. A short quiz is included at the end of each module. Find the course here https://energyinst.org/whats-on/search/events-and-training?meta_eventId=1901ESOSCPDTR
- Customer care in Practice: A 1-hour module which helps learners to understand customer care during initial contact, during quotations and acceptance, and during assessments. The module also helps the learner to consider how to deal with problems that arise.
- Managing Health and Safety for Assessors: A 1-hour module which aims to equip the learner with an understanding of the importance of health and safety, as well as how looking after health and safety makes good business sense.
- Professional Conduct as a Stroma Assessor: A 1-hour module developed to support learners in understanding that a code of conduct is important for establishing a set of standards relating to ethics, morals and behaviours in line with a business’s mission, values and principles, which help to maintain professionalism, compliance and risk mitigation.
- Building Engineering Physics: A 1-hour module designed to help the learner to understand what is meant by building engineering physics and how this relates to building performance and compliance, as well as energy performance and modelling.
- How to Select Heat Pumps: A 1.5-hour module which aims to help learners learn what a heat pump is, what it is used for and the benefits of this increasingly popular form of heating.
- How to Plan Stroma Scheme CPD: A 1-hour module developed to support learners in understanding that the purpose of CPD, how much CPD needs to be completed and how effective planning is necessary for successful CPD learning.
- Practical Approaches to Delivering TM44 AC Inspections: A 1-hour module which helps learners to understand how AC systems are sampled and technically inspected.
- Saving Energy in AC Systems: A 1-hour module which aims to equip the learner with an understanding of the different ways in which energy can be saved in AC systems. Examples include effective system maintenance and optimising system controls.
- How to Save Energy in Lighting Systems (Including LED Solutions): A 1-hour module designed to help the learner understand different types of lighting systems, lighting design factors, lighting control systems, and how these can be optimised to save energy.
- Asbestos Awareness for Energy Assessors: A 1-hour module that helps the learner to understand the dangers of asbestos and how they are relevant to an assessor, key requirements set out by legislation, as well as how asbestos can be worked with safely and legally.
- How to Select Underfloor Heating: A 1-hour module which helps learners to understand the principles of underfloor heating as well as how the technology works to provide decarbonised heat. The module also focuses on the benefits and principles of underfloor heating.
- Retrofitting Air Source Heat Pumps in Domestic Properties CPD: A 1-hour module designed to help the learner to understand air source heat pumps and how they can be implemented, as well as the importance of fabric improvement and electrical considerations.
- How to Retrofit Domestic Properties to Achieve Net Zero: A 1-hour module developed to give learners an understanding of how the implementation of smart design principles, such as the use of fabric improvements and passive design, can be used to make a property net zero.
- Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES): A 1-hour module which aims to equip learners with an understanding of MEES legislation and framework, and how it applies to both domestic and non-domestic properties, as well as outlining the importance of compliance and the penalties for failing to comply.
- Energy Assessor Best Practice Business Skills: A 1-hour module that helps the learner to understand the importance of essential business skills, such as being able to set goals and understanding effective time management strategies, with a focus on their importance in maintaining customers.