Providing organisations & communities with energy efficient heat networks
BSSEC has over 12 years’ experience with energy efficient heat networks and has worked with a wide range of organisations spanning developers, local authorities, government agencies and communities.
Generally, such organisations are looking to switch fuel sources and make the transition from oil or electricity to using heat networks that are fuelled by gas and low carbon sources. There is often an opportunity for community-minded organisations or projects, to make use of local natural, sustainable resources such as thermal springs, wood, geothermal resources.
The need for asset replacement or renewal of existing life expired plant and networks also opens up opportunities for more community-inclusive heat network projects.
Over the years, BSSEC has helped with:
- upgrades and improvements to existing district heating at university campuses, hospital sites, prisons and MoD garrisons – in terms of upgrades to heating plant, pipework pumps and controls;
- provision of maintenance assessments of existing heat networks and efficiency measures;
- feasibility studies for the provision of new heat networks to mixed use and residential developments, including gas boilers, CHP, biomass heating, heat pumps;
- the design and supervision of new heat networks including biomass boilers, pumps, controls, networks and metering;
- assurance and verification of completed heat networks.
We have been involved in over 30 district heating schemes, which have included pioneering projects such as;
- ASDA Bootle Supermarket – included a heat network using an open source heat pump and refrigeration heat recovery system, now operational for 10 years. This building achieved an ‘A’ Rated EPC.
- University of Cumbria Biomass District heating system – providing low carbon and affordable heat to a university campus, now operational for 8 years.
- Welsh Assembly Government – Taff’s Well – feasibility of a heat network utilising Wales’ only thermal spring as a heat source via a water to water heat pump.
Other clients we have carried out projects for are:
University of Cumbria • Belfast Harbour Commissioners • H M Prison Service • MoD • NHS • Regional Development Agencies • Local Authorities • Developers • Communities • Supermarkets